The QI process begins with identifying and understanding the problem you are trying to solve. Your QI team will partner with patients and providers to identify a problem, understand the current state of the process, and identify the root causes of the problem.
Key activities include:
- Writing a problem statement summarizing the problem you are trying to solve
- Mapping the current state of relevant processes and patient journeys with staff and patients
- Identifying the root causes of the problem with input from staff and patients and by observing processes in real time
- Generating a measurement plan to determine what data you will collect to further understand root causes and track improvement
- Collecting data and displaying it visually using run charts and control charts to understand variations in performance